Thursday 11 September 2014

GD Country View Crafts - Ship Wreck

Hi ya, guess what, I am honoured to be a Guest Designer over at Country View Crafts who's challenge this month is Nautical.  This is rather a large post with lots of pictures and step by steps. Hope you enjoy :-).

I wanted was inspired to do this piece from the inspiration pictures below.
It amazes me how living things can adapt to our situations, the ship wreak
may be battered and bruised and never to be used again, but in the end
it has become the home for such beauty, life and future promises.
I want to thank both Julie-Ann and Alison who's stories through art inspired me
to look deep into myself for this project :-).



These are the pictures that inspired my piece.  I hope I managed to
finally get that look, I think I did, what do you think?
























Here are some close ups off before the embellishments were added.





And now for the step by step (so can't wait to finish sorting so I can start videoing lol).

The first few pics shows how I painted the frame and embellishments and
then added crackle medium, of course all Paperartsy lol.


I wanted to make the part of the ship handles for sealing doors, don't know what
they are called, so I drilled and sanded a hole into one of the circles,
the crackle glaze was dry, should have really done it before.

Here you can see me painting the above in gold and a gear to make the thingy!!!!

The rest of them was painted and left for the crackle to start, errrr well crackling lol.

I wanted some charms for the sea life but can you believe I had not got fish,
so I got my fimo out and spent hours trying to make fish, grrrrrr this was the
best of the lot lol.

I painted and sprayed the charms and some moss for the colourful grasses you get.

A close up and I did add some Treasure Gold.

Next I used some Silks on the fish, which are fantastic as when you move the 
fish you get different colours which are like fish in the sea, if you can call my fimo
fish, Fish!!!!

A close up, look at that top fish, he seems really miserable, I reckon that
was me after two hours of fimo playing and getting no where lol.

Next I wanted some texture, so I used heavy gel and sand.
I left sand on top or buried the items and left them overnight, I find this
really helps getting a good coverage.

Next morning all nice and textured, lovely :-).

I wanted some other grasses so I stamped with paint onto acetate, so you could see
through in places, I also did jellyfish but didn't use them.
YES at this point I noticed I did have a stamp fish wish I could have used instead of
fimo lol.  Or I could have at least stamped it in fimo for the shape lol.

Now I wanted to show real depth as if the ship was peeling away with the water,
to do this I made some gouges in the wood and painted them.

Then I painted some rust colour areas.

Initially I was going to paint, then add embossing powder, but after this first
step I decide the embossing was best left until last.

The next few pictures show how I built up the paint.




And then I repeated all the paints again in places.

Next I mixed seaweed and mint to get the colour I wanted to add
the whitish look on top.  I only dabbed this in places with a sponge.
If you see the pictures I was inspired by they had this whitish look in places.
Now at this stage I'm really liking it and wanted to stay at this point.
But I kept going as I really wanted it to show the sea water flowing through
the ship wreak.

I gave the embellishments some paint effect.

Now the embossing, I started with UTEE, then added a translucent blue and
then a lustre shine and lastly some clear UTEE, each stage was done individually,
then the last step was when the clear utee went on top to start moving the frame
around to get some flow over the edges etc.  I also added micro beads and mica flakes.





I wanted to highlight the depth in places so I used a stabilo pencil in black and rubbed
my fingers over it.


Next I started to add the wood sign on top and some sand.

I left it there for around 6 hrs.

I felt it looked a little translucent so I added a really small amount of Sand colour
paint and dabbed over the roughness of the sand.

This really helped it to stand out.

Next was added my grasses, bent the acetate at the bottom so they could be
glued standing up.

Next is adding all the embellishments :-).

Well if you managed to get this far well done lol, certainly a lot of photos, hope I didn't bore you too much lol.  Thank you so much for visiting.
Happy Creating :-)
Hugs Kezzy xxxxx

Product List
Paperartsy Fresco Paints - london bus, butternut, pea coat, amethyst, squid ink, concrete, holly, green olives, hyde park, seaweed, hey pesto, chalk, stone, evergreen, marlin, dusty teal, mint mix, chocolate brown, brown shed.
Paperartsy Medium - crackle.
Silks Paint - sapphire on ice, snap dragon, key lime, apricot nectar, honey amber, mediterranean blue.
Other Paints - Reeves (bronze), Eco Green (sand).
Stamps - Lavinia (sea floral), Paperartsy (words 2), Kaisercraft (dated).
Treasure Gold - sapphire, white fire, green amber, royal amethyst, ruby.
Creative Expressions Gilding Wax - patina, vintage golden green.
Cosmic Shimmer UTEE and Embossing powders - utee cobalt sky, arctic pearl lustre, blue watercress blaze.
Ranger - utee clear and emboss it dabber.
Stampendous Frantage - teal mica flakes, detail capri.
Woodware - micro beads in blues.
Stabilo aquarellable black (8046).
Tattered Angels Glimmer mist - perfect peach, jazz blue, timeless lilac.
That Craft Place - wooden laser embellishments.
Heat resistant acetate. 
Fimo metallic dark green (for fish).
Green moss.
Golden heavy gel.
Other embellishments - pennies, ship net, drift wood, shells, sealife.

4 comments:

Jennie Atkinson said...

Kezzy your nautical piece is AMAZING !!! I love how you have packed so many details in such a tiny space and it all works so wonderfully together. And what a great post showing where your inspiration came from and all the individual steps in putting this together. Fabulous !! Jennie x

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Kezzy,
This creation is just a masterpiece, and you have provided CVC with a truly unique piece of Art. I am at a loss for words to describe how gorgeous this is to view.
Your process to obtain your palette, your direction in design and your added elements come together perfectly, you did not bore me with the step by step I found it interesting and informative. All that is left to say is well done you should be so proud of this make.
And I actually like your fish!
Smiles:)
Sue (CVC Dt)

Juliz Design Post said...

Wow, it was great to see your photos a real labour of love.
Julie x

trisha too said...

Absolutely amazine piece, Kezzy--gorgeous gorgeous details!

:)